Growing up I was troubled with health issues. Which led to years and years of bland food. And, even as mom was a genius in making even the blandest food taste wonderful, my experience in the world of food was painfully limited.
As it continues to be even today. But, I’m trying to catch up. I’m a late bloomer in almost everything, so why would food be any different? And, I’m ok with that.
Quinoa is the world’s oldest grain. I didn’t know that till a few days ago. I had never eaten it before or even heard of it when I lived in India. As a somewhat pure vegetarian, grains are dear to my heart.
This is a simple, delicious, extremely fresh salad. I would however stress that the quality of the mango makes a big difference here. So, do get the best sort and preferably the kind from India. The sweetness from Indian mangoes is unparalleled. If there are no good mangoes in sight, go ahead and replace it with pears or nectarines!
- For the Dressing
- ½ tbsp shredded fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- pinch of coriander powder
- pinch of red chili powder
- ½ tbsp honey
- dash of lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Salad
- 110 grams quinoa
- 2 green chilies, cut fine
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 spring onions, chopped with green parts
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 mango, peeled in large slices
- seeds of ½ pomegranate
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- To prepare, cook the quinoa as per directions with the chopped chilies. Set aside to cool.
- Peel mango and cut into large slices. Heat a grill pan and drizzle with half the olive oil. Place mango slices and pour the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle the fennel seeds on top. Grill each side around 3-4 minutes or till you get nice brown stripes. Set aside and let cool.
- Combine all the other ingredients (except mango and pomegranate) in a large bowl and toss to mix together. Dress with grilled mango and pomegranate seeds.
- Just before serving, pour the ginger dressing on top. You don't need to mix the dressing in. Let stand for around 15 minutes for the dressing to get incorporated.