SO Valentine’s Day is coming up. Oh yay! to all the forced pressure. I think I’ve ranted enough about how much I hate this stupid day. Don’t get me wrong I love getting gifts from the love of my life, but not if he is tied down and I’m holding a gun to his head. What fun is that?
Checking the hard disks of my brain to sift through all the trivia collected over years and years to see if I ever had a Valentines… nope I’m coming up with nothing. What does it mean? Does it mean I”m so sad that no one has ever done anything for me? Or does it mean I have terrorised each and every man that came along to never dare to do that? Or does it really really mean I’m not pretty enough? Hmm… since I clearly don’t consider myself sad, not much of a frightening person either (ok maybe a tad) or not pretty enough ( I do love myself.. hehe) I guess I have somehow managed to dodge this wonderfully red day!
Maybe for this reason alone I must experience it. Right? I do feel a bit naughty for trying something that I clearly am not a fan of and I am rubbing my hands in glee while I put on all the red stuff I have!!! Since my man is also not into the V day, I must lure him into my sweet sweet trap! Buhahahahahaha!
I’m going to pamper him… said with pouty lips! So here we go with some sweet treats and some not this month. Some will surprise him and some will be his faves. <3
I decided to start with a treat he will surely love. Slam dunk!
What an amazing crumble this is! Buttery apple-y deliciousness. And, it is soooo easy to make.
- 4 apples (any kind will do. peeled cored and sliced)
- 300 grams all purpose flour
- 220 grams light brown sugar
- 300 grams butter (cold)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 100 grams pecans (roughly chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F.
- Mix 100 grams sugar and 100 grams flour in a bowl. Cube 100 grams of the cold butter and with the pumpkin spice and salt, mix in with the flour and sugar. Knead with your fingers till you get a crumbly mix. Mix in the chopped pecans. Cover and put aside in the refrigerator. (This is the crumble part of the apple crumble)
- Whisk the rest of the sugar and the eggs till you get a light and fluffy mix. In the meantime, melt the rest of the butter in a pan. Let it cool first and then mix it into the egg mixture. Sieve the rest of the flour on top of this mix and fold in with the vanilla essence.
- Line a rectangular or square baking dish with baking paper and pour in the batter. Place the sliced apples on top of the batter covering it completely.
- Now scatter the crumble mix on top of the apples. Again it should cover the whole area. You should not be able to see the apples.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for around 50-55 minutes or till the top is nicely golden brown.
- Serve warm or when cool. Either way is delicious!