I’m stuck for words. For days. That’s why it has taken me this long to come out here on this space to post this post.
After a seemingly long trip back to Rotterdam (seemingly because the journey really isn’t that long) I was and still am, for some reason extremely tired. My birthday happened to be the day after I arrived back to a cold country and temperatures that were the lowest in 40 years. My body and mind were in shock. India when I left was 42°C and Holland only 7°C.Not to mention that mental switch that I needed to make to come back to silence from a country that never seems to sleep. I appreciate both but turning that switch is very hard.
Today I will let this cake talk. My baby girl forced me to make it. For my birthday. This cake is so easy that even though cake was the last thing on my mind, it was a breeze to make.
It is the perfect cake for any occasion.
I would make it for Mother’s day if I were you. Because you can make it in an hour and impress your mommy with it!
So, I’m not going to bore you much more with words. Lets make this delightful cake!
- For the Cake
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 115 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sprinkles (for decoration)
- For the Buttercream
- 250 grams butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsps heavy cream (you can also use whole milk if you have no cream at hand)
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 350˚F/175°C and line 2, 7-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter and whisk till creamy. Add the sugar and mix well till it looks nice and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In yet another bowl whisk the buttermilk, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract till well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients alternately, beginning and ending with the dry, to the butter mix.
- Increase speed to medium, and mix until combined.
- Evenly divide cake batter into the two cake pans.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes until cake is done or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then move onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
- For the buttercream, whisk the butter until creamy. Slowly add the powder sugar one cup at a time, till it is well mixed. Add the vanilla extract and mix again. Add the cream one spoon at a time and mix till well combined.
- To put the cake together, place one layer on a cake stand and ⅓ of the buttercream. Smooth it out and place the second layer on top. Use the rest of the buttercream to cover the cake.
- Decorate the cake with the sprinkles as you like. I loved covering the entire cake but you could leave the top free if you like or not cover the sides and do only the top. Up to you!
- This cake tastes amazing the next day!