Breakfast in Holland is like a party every morning. Its chocolate flakes, chocolate sprinkles, sugar dipped anise seeds, nutella, mini speculaas cookies, coconut bread (how novel is that?)… You name it and every sweet treat on the planet is available to be spread or sprinkled on the bread. The bread must however always be volkoren (whole wheat) because that is healthy!! As much as this is a contradiction, I do love that the Dutch just go crazy at breakfast with all the sweet treats. Its just fun and life should be fun… 🙂
Growing up I actually never ate breakfast, a very bad habit I know. The only thing you could get me to eat was bananas. I’m not much of a fruit eater but bananas, oh bananas I love. And banana bread is my absolute favourite.
So I thought why not combine the love the Dutch have for all things sweet at breakfast and my love for bananas smothered in whole wheat no less. Lets try and make them somewhat healthy right?!! 🙂
And these muffins are crazy easy. I mean you can have them ready in 20 minutes flat from start to finish. Say what? Yes! 20 minutes… You literally need to throw everything in one bowl or blender (I don’t have one.. seeing that I am resisting all apparatus to make my life easy!) and just mix everything. Throw in your muffin holders and bake and voila, breakfast is ready!
So get your baking on, especially this coming weekend. If your honey don’t like chocolate and all that V-day BS then you can please him mighty good with these AND yourself because they are healthy (!) and they are delicious my friends and that is the whole point of love isn’t it?
These muffins are extremely versatile and you can put any toppings of your liking. You don’t have to have the Dutch treats at hand. You can add cinnamon, ginger, nuts, peanut butter… whatever you like!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- mix-ins: ginger, peanut butter, chocolate chips, cinnamon, sweetened coconut flakes etc
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Grease muffin tins or place cupcake liners in the tins.
- Add the flour, eggs, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and salt to a blender or a bowl. Pulse until smooth.
- If you are using just one mix-in (cinnamon for example) then you can stir it right into the blender/bowl (with a spoon- don't pulse) and then fill in cupcake liners ¾ full.
- If using more than one mix in (such as chocolate chips, peanut utter, nutella) then fill the cupcake liners first, then sprinkle your mix-ins on top of each and stir in with a knife.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool completely. Serve immediately.
- These keep well for a few days. I just stored them back into the oven covered with aluminium foil.